GN 01727.110: Scope of the U.S. - Portuguese Agreement
Effective Dates: 04/09/2014 - Present
- TN 2 (01-03)
- GN 01727.110 Scope of the U.S. - Portuguese Agreement
- A. Policy benefit programs included
- The provisions of the agreement that permit people to qualify for benefits based on combined U.S. and Portuguese coverage credits apply to the following types of benefits:
- 1. U.S. Retirement, Survivors and Disability Benefits
The agreement does not apply to Medicare benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or Special Age 72 benefits.
- 2. Portuguese Retirement, Survivors and Disability Benefits
- The agreement does not apply to workers compensation, unemployment benefits, health insurance, family allowances and short-term cash sickness and maternity benefits.
- B. Policy taxes included
- The provisions of the agreement that eliminate dual Social Security coverage and taxes apply to:
- * U.S. Social Security taxes (FICA and SECA) including the Medicare portion, and
- * Portuguese Social Security taxes that finance retirement, survivors and long-term disability benefits, sickness, maternity, workers compensation, unemployment, health insurance and family allowances.
- C. References
- Agreement provisions for the elimination of dual coverage and taxation,
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.