GN 03103.050: Information about Hearing Locations
Effective Dates: 12/05/2016 - Present
- TN 18 (12-11)
- GN 03103.050 Information about Hearing Locations
- We hold hearings in the 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the Virgin Islands. We hold the hearings within 75 miles of the claimant's residence. However, residents of Alaska, Hawaii, and some western States may have to travel farther.
- When claimants live outside the 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa and the Virgin Islands they must travel to the hearing at their own expense.
NOTE: Effective July 25, 2014: Prior to scheduling a hearing, the Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR) will notify claimants that ODAR may schedule them to appear at a hearing by video teleconferencing (VTC). Claimants and appointed representatives will have 30 days from receipt of the notice to object, in writing, to the claimant’s appearance by (VTC). For details concerning the scheduling of a hearing by VTC, see HALLEX I-2-0-15 Hearing by Video Teleconference - Overview, HALLEX I-2-0-20 Acknowledgement of Request for Hearing, and HALLEX I-2-0-21 Objection to Appearing at Hearing by Video Teleconference.
- A hearing usually consists of an ALJ review of the case, although claimants or their representatives can attend the hearing if they choose.
- For information concerning payment of travel expenses, see GN 03101.140 Appeals of Payment for Certain Travel Expenses and GN 03103.060 Payment of Certain Travel Expenses to Hearings..
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.