RS 01505.044: Directing Requests for Coverage and Wage Information on State and Local Government Employees
Effective Dates: 11/19/2009 - Present TN 24 (11-09)
- RS 01505.044 Directing Requests for Coverage and Wage Information on State and Local Government Employees
A. Policy for directing requests for information We are responsible for accurately responding to requests for coverage and wage information. Follow these instructions for requests made directly to the Field Office (FO) and Parallel Social Security Office (PSSO).
- 1. FO
Direct requests for coverage and wage information according to arrangements made with your state official. 2. PSSO Establish direct contact with the state Administrator for Social Security affairs. B. Procedure for requests 1. FOs to Employers Contact employers directly unless special procedures provide other contact routes. Follow special procedures for your state in the regional office POMS instructions. 2. FOs to PSSO Request the PSSO to obtain coverage or wage information, use form SSA-562-U3 (Request for Assistance) if:
- * The state does not want local reporting officials contacted;
* Employment was for the state (unless other arrangements are in effect for a particular unit of state government); * Employment was for a governmental entity in another state (send the request to the PSSO servicing that state); * A question cannot be resolved with the local reporting official; * A question involves state law provisions, or * Obtaining the views of the state official seems desirable.
- Show the reason for the request on the SSA-562-U3 and include all development information obtained such as questionnaires, statements, and references to statutes.
To correct the earnings record (E/R), send the necessary adjustment forms to the PSSO completed to the extent possible and signed by the FO representative who prepared them. 3. PSSO Review FO referrals: * Examine the request and determine the appropriate action to be taken, * Notify the requesting FO of any precedent determination which will resolve the question, * Resolve disagreements between SSA and state, and * Return materials, except for correction forms, to FO after determination is approved. 4. PC or OCRO
- Send routine requests for additional information or development to the resident FO.
* Direct all requests for additional development on a substantive issue of coverage or wages to the PSSO, with copies to the resident FO and the ARCP. * The PSSO determines whether the information should be secured directly from the state or from the local reporting official by the resident FO. * The resident FO or PSSO obtains the requested information, or documents the unavailability of the evidence and returns the material to the Processing Center (PC) or Office of Central Records Operations (OCRO).
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.