GN 00502.107: The Representative Payee Application
Effective Dates: 06/21/2017 - Present
- TN 33 (01-06)
- GN 00502.107 The Representative Payee Application
- A. Policy
- The SSA-11 (or the computer generated equivalent, SG-SSA-11, produced by the Electronic Representative Payee System (eRPS)) is the proper representative payee application.
- 1. Who must complete a payee application?
- Anyone who wishes to receive benefits as a representative payee must complete the SSA-11. Whenever possible, representative payee applications should be processed through the eRPS. The eRPS generates an SG-SSA-11. When the application cannot be processed through the eRPS (i.e., an undocumented alien parent payee who cannot be assigned an SSN), the payee applicant must complete a paper SSA-11-BK. See GN 00502.190 for manual processing instructions.
- One payee application applies for all benefits payable to the beneficiary if the decisions will be made at the same time. If an applicant is currently serving as payee for one type of benefit and another type is subsequently awarded, a separate representative payee application is needed from the payee for the subsequent benefit. Appoint the same payee for all types of benefits. Remember to follow proper advance notice procedures GN 00503.100.
- NOTE: For organizational payees, we expect the principal officer or an employee of the Agency who has the authority to sign or act as an agent of the organization to file and sign the representative payee application (including signature proxy).
- 2. What if the beneficiary wants to receive payments directly?
- When a beneficiary, who has a representative payee, requests direct payment, you will need to interview the beneficiary (preferably face-to-face) in order to reevaluate his/her capability per GN 00502.020A.5. and GN 00502.055. You will also need to contact the beneficiary's current payee to obtain his/her input regarding whether or not the beneficiary is now capable of managing or directing someone else to manage his/her benefits. Make a capability determination based on all the evidence you gather or is provided to you. If you decide the beneficiary is now capable of managing or directing someone else to manage his/her own benefits, the beneficiary must complete an SSA-11 using the eRPS. The eRPS will generate the appropriate application. If the SSA-11 cannot be processed in the eRPS, only answer questions 1, 3, 5, 6 and 8 on the SSA-11-BK.
- EXCEPTION: An SSA-11 is not needed to convert a student child beneficiary to direct pay at age 18, nor to convert an SSI recipient to direct pay at age 18. An SSA-11 is required for converting a CDB who is capable to direct pay at age 18. However, if capability must be developed, you must obtain all needed documentation (see GN 00502.075 and GN 00504.105).
- 3. How do I use the information obtained on the application?
- Use the information obtained on the application to evaluate the payee applicant's qualifications and suitability to serve as payee. You can also use the information provided to determine whether any other potential payees are available. In addition, the eRPS will display any known information about the payee's past performance as payee as well as past criminal information that had been recorded. This information is provided so that you can make a well-informed decision about the applicant's suitability (refer to GN 00502.132).
- REMINDER: Be alert to situations that may indicate any type of disqualifying or fraudulent activity.
- B. Procedure
- 1. What should I do if the application raises questions of suitability?
- If you doubt any information the applicant provides, obtain any additional information that would verify the applicant's answer(s) to any question(s). You may need to contact a reliable third party to obtain the additional information.
- Use the Rep Payee Applicant “Note Type” on the Make Note screen to document the Make Note screen in eRPS (or on an SSA-5002, Report of Contact, outside eRPS) your reasons for appointing as payee any applicant whose suitability raises a concern. (See MS INTRANETERPS 015.002) You should also use the Add New Issue screen in the eRPS (MS INTRANETERPS 008.007) or another reliable source to prepare a 3-month diary to follow-up on the payee's performance.
- 2. When can I use an abbreviated application?
- The eRPS produces an abbreviated application when the applicant is a parent with custody of a minor child or a spouse with custody. When the applicant is already serving as the beneficiary's payee for one type of benefit, the system pre-fills the application to serve for another type of benefit.
- If the application cannot be processed in the eRPS, complete only items 2 through 5, 9, 12, 18 and 19 of the SSA-11BK if the applicant is:
- * A parent with custody of a minor child;
- * A spouse with custody;
- * Already serving as the beneficiary's payee for one type of benefit and the beneficiary is now being awarded another type of benefit; or
- * The beneficiary's court-appointed voluntary conservator (see GN 00502.139A.4.).
- NOTE: The same notice (including advance notice) and documentation requirements apply for an abbreviated application as for a full application.
- 3. Can I use signature proxy for RP applications?
- Effective 11/19/05, changes were made to the eRPS to allow the expanded use of signature proxy for those applications taken via eRPS. Signature proxy can be used on applications filed by individual payee applicants or by officers/agents of an organizational payee applicant. Effective 11/19/05 all representative payee applications (SG-SSA-11) taken via the eRPS are stored electronically in the Online Retrieval System (ORS). Refer to GN 00201.015 and GN 00502.110.
In those rare cases when eRPS cannot be used and a paper SSA-11 was taken, SSA will store the SSA-11 after all processing actions have been taken through the NDRed by using CFRMS or eDIB (e.g., for disability claims, fax the SSA-11 into the electronic folder), (see GN 00301.322).”
- NOTE: SG-SSA-11s are stored in ORS under the beneficiary's own social number (BOAN), therefore, you must enter the BOAN to retrieve/view a copy from ORS.
- C. References
- GN 00502.110C. - MS INTRANETERPS 001.001. Taking payee applications in the eRPS
- GN 00502.115 - Completion of SSA-11-BK
- SI 00604.087 - Completion of SSA-8000-BK
- GN 00201.015 - Alternative Signature Methods
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.