GN 02605.220: U.S. Address Used by a Beneficiary Abroad
Effective Dates: 02/25/2008 - Present
- TN 25 (02-08)
- GN 02605.220 U.S. Address Used by a Beneficiary Abroad
- A. Use of a U.S. Mailing Address
- A beneficiary abroad may use a U.S. mailing address when the beneficiary:
- * Has an APO/FPO address;
- * Has a representative payee in the United States; or
- * Will be abroad for 3 months or less.
- NOTE: If the representative payee is in the United States and the beneficiary is not, development must be initiated per GN 00502.105 to determine if the representative payee continues to be in the best interest of the beneficiary.
- The beneficiary must keep SSA advised of his/her actual residence address at all times. This is necessary to facilitate beneficiary contact and possible future foreign enforcement actions.
- A 240 listing code (Use of U.S. Mailing Address By Beneficiaries Residing Outside the U.S.) must be prepared for any beneficiary who resides outside the U.S. and maintains a U.S. mailing address. This listing code is not required for APO/FPO addresses.
- B. Barred or Restricted Country
- A beneficiary abroad may not use a mailing address in the U.S. while he/she resides in a barred or restricted country.
- C. In-Care-Of Address
- A U.S. in-care-of address can only be utilized during interim periods while development of a proper mailing address is in progress.
- D. Related References
- Servicing Office for Military Addresses (GN 00904.025)
- Special Payment Procedures for Certain SSA-Restricted Countries (RS 02650.040)
- Treasury Department Restrictions (RS 02650.001)
- Use of a United States Address by Beneficiary Abroad (GN 02401.080)
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.