GN 02402.004: “Go Direct” Campaign
Effective Dates: 04/29/2011 - Present
- TN 40 (04-11)
- GN 02402.004 “Go Direct” Campaign
- A. Introduction
- In 2005, the Department of the Treasury (Treasury) and the Federal Reserve Bank (FRB) began a campaign named “Go Direct®” to increase direct deposit for U.S. Government payments. The Social Security Administration supports this effort.
- Effective May 1, 2011, Treasury requires that all individuals filing for Title II and Title XVI benefits MUST select either the direct deposit option or the Direct Express® debit card option during the interview process for Social Security benefit payments. When discussing direct deposit during initial claims interview refer to GN 02402.005C.
- Treasury and FRB work with partners to assist beneficiaries in receiving their benefits directly into their accounts at financial institutions. Some of these partners are banks, credit unions, social service agencies, community-based groups, and other organizations that are familiar to the beneficiaries.
Treasury’s primary method for promoting Go Direct® is to enclose inserts when mailing checks to the beneficiaries. However, the Go Direct® message reaches beneficiaries in various ways, including letters, rallies, media outreach, and websites in English and Spanish. You can visit these websites at www.GoDirect®.org or www.DirectoASuCuenta.org or call Go Direct® at 1-800-333-1795.
- B. How to respond to telephone inquiries about Go Direct®
- If you receive a call from a beneficiary or recipient who asks if Go Direct® is really a legitimate program sanctioned by the U.S. government,
- * assure callers the program is legitimate;
- * obtain the required information to make the input for direct deposit, if the beneficiary or recipient wishes to establish or change direct deposit for benefits;
- * continue to process the direct deposit as usual;
- * discuss the Direct Express® debit card program, which we explain in the Direct Express® section, GN 02402.007;
- * inform the current beneficiaries and recipients that they have until March 1, 2013, to select a form of electronic payment per Treasury’s requirement.
- C. References
- * GN 02402.005, Direct Deposit Information for All Types of Interviews
- * GN 02402.007, Direct Express® Debit Card Program
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.