RM 10205.001: How to Apply for a Social Security Card
Effective Dates: 11/30/2015 - Present TN 1 (09-09)
- RM 10205.001 How to Apply for a Social Security Card
Citations: 20 CFR 422.103
- A. Enumeration using SSNAP or Form SS-5
- An individual must properly complete and sign an application for a Social Security card to:
- * obtain an original SSN;
- * obtain a new (different) SSN;
- * obtain a replacement SSN card;
- * correct information on the electronic record (Numident), even though a replacement card is not requested;
* receive a replacement card when the name on the card was misspelled, garbled, or incomplete due to an FO keying error or computer malfunction in the card printing process and more than 45 days have passed since the cycle date (See Incorrect SSN Card is Not Retrieved or the Request for Name Correction on the SSN Card is More than 45 Days After the Cycle Date, RM 10215.060); or * receive a replacement card when the applicant alleges non-receipt and the requirements for an FO-prepared application are not met (See Non-Receipt of an SSN Card, RM 10215.060).
- A person completing an application may either:
- * complete, sign, and mail Form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card) to a FO or have a third party take Form SS-5 to a FO on his or her behalf , or
- * file an application electronically through SSNAP during an in-office interview.
IMPORTANT: It is important to enter an application for an SSN cards expeditiously. Process a properly completed Form SS-5 received with all required evidence as soon as is reasonably possible, preferably on the same day it is received.
- B. Enumeration at Birth
The birth registration form signed by the parent of a newborn requesting an SSN as part of the State's birth registration process is considered an application for an SSN. See Where to File an Application for a Social Security Card, RM 10205.005B.
- C. Enumeration at Entry
The enumeration data transmitted to SSA by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) under the Enumeration at Entry (EAE) process is also considered an application for an SSN. See Where to File an Application for a Social Security Card, RM 10205.005C and Enumeration at Entry, RM 10205.600. REFERENCES * RM 10205.170 – Applicant’s Signature for an Application for an SSN Card * RM 10205.175 – Applicant’s Electronic Signature for an Application for an SSN Card Processed in SSNAP * RM 10205.180 – Applicant’s Signature on a Form SS-5 Received in the Mail D. Internet Social Security Number Replacement Cards (iSSNRC) An applicant for a replacement SSN card may apply online if he or she has a mySocialSecurity account and meets the requirements in RM 10205.630B, Internet SSN Replacement Cards (iSSNRC).
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.